[And hasten towards forgiveness from your Lord, and a Paradise that stretches over the heavens and earth, prepared for those who are conscious of Allah.] - Holy Qur'aan, 3:133
Sayyiduna Anas Ibn Malik Radiyallahu Anhu reported that the Messenger of Allah Sallallahu `Alayhi Wa Sallam said: "When the night of power comes then Jibreel Alayhis Salaam descends with a large group of angels, sending salutations upon every one who is standing and sitting, remembering Allah. When the day of their Eid comes, Allah boasts to His angels, saying: "Oh My angels! What is the remuneration of the worker that has completed his work?" They reply: Oh our Lord! His reward is that his remuneration is complete." Allah replies: "Oh My angels! My servants have fulfilled My obligation upon them, and then they came out earnestly seeking Me in supplication. By My Might, My Honour, My Generosity, My Greatness and My Exaltation, I will surely respond to them." Then Allah says: "Return (on this day) for I have forgiven you, and I have replaced your misdeeds with your good deeds." They return with a clean slate, completely forgiven.
On this day, after the completion of the holy month of Ramadaan, we ask Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta`ala to encompass us in His Mercy and Forgiveness, and to emancipate us from the fire of Jahannam; and to allow us to witness the holy month of Ramadaan for many more years. Ameen!
This day is a day for us to show gratitude to our Creator for His immense blessings, and to honour His commands and rights.
Sayyiduna Abul `Abbaas, `Abdullah Ibn Al-`Abbaas Radiyallahu Anhu reported: "I was (riding my camel) behind the Holy Prophet Sallalahu `Alayhi Wa Sallam one day and he said: "Oh young man! I am going to teach you some words. Protect the rights of Allah and Allah will protect you. Protect the rights of Allah and you will find Him with you." - Narrated by Imam At-Tirmithi Radiyallahu Anhu, and authentic (Saheeh)
Rasoolullah Sallallahu `Alayhi Wa Sallam here gives Sayyiduna `Abdullah Ibn `Abbaas Radiyallahu `Anhu, who was ten years of age at the time, the most profound advice. He Sallallahu `Alayhi Wa Sallam nurtures Sayyiduna Ibn `Abbaas Radiyallahu `Anhu and teaches him how to live a happy life; and this shows us the concern that he Sallallahu `Alayhi Wa Sallam had for the youth. My address today is directed to the youth in particular: You are the future of Islam, the supports upon whose foundation Islam will stand in the future. Protect the rights of Allah when you are young, and Allah will protect your youth for you.
"Protect the rights of Allah": Know and recognise His limitations and restrictions and stop there, do not go further than that. Cling onto His obligations, and perpetuate consciousness of Him by carrying out what He has commanded and abstaining from what He has prohibited.
- The Holy Prophet Sallallahu `Alayhi Wa Sallam was concerned to turn the focus of this Ummah in the correct direction, and to ensure that the young Ummah is nurtured accordingly. At that time, the Ummah was at a young age, in its youth, and the Holy Prophet Sallallahu `Alayhi Wa Sallam wanted it to progress with the correct morals and values. Therefore, he Sallallahu `Alayhi Wa Sallam is cultivating and planting the correct `Aqidah in the hearts of the Muslims, and especially the youth amongst them. He directs this remarkable advice to Sayyiduna Ibn `Abbaas Radiyallahu `Anhu, which instills in a Muslim the desire to hold onto to the commands of Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta`ala, and to seek help and assistance from Him Alone. He Sallallahu `Alayhi Wa Sallam encourages the Muslim to become brave, to become courageous, to always be in the forefront. The Sahabah Radiyallahu `Anhum were always in the forefront, even in the battles, not for the sake of leadership, but for Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta`ala and His Beloved Messenger Sallallahu `Alayhi Wa Sallam. Sayyiduna `Abdullah Ibn `Abbaas, Sayyiduna Mus`ab Ibn `Umayr, Sayyiduna `Ammaar Ibn Yaasar Radiyallahu `Anhum, and many others were youth amongst the Sahabah Radiyallahu `Anhum; but they were always in the forefront in the battles. Hence, you are not afraid if you find yourself in any position, or if danger faces you; and you speak the truth for the Sake of Allah without fearing anyone, because you know that everything is in the hands of Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta`ala.
- These words of Rasoolullah Sallallahu `Alayhi Wa Sallam are everlasting and demonstrate a wise manner in which to conduct ourselves: Sayyiduna Ibn `Abbaas Radiyallahu `Anhu informs us of this remarkable advice that combines everything. It carries in its innermost cavities the greatest rules of our Islam, purifying our thoughts, cleansing our minds, illuminating our intellect, making firm our `Aqidah and strengthening our conviction.
- "Protect the rights of Allah and Allah will protect you": Cling onto the commands of Allah: "And hold onto the rope of Allah together and do not be divided..." -Surah Ali `Imraan. Stop at His limits and do not approach them. Beware! Beware of transgressing beyond the limitations that Allah has set. Carry out His obligations to the best of your ability and do not belittle them. Do not think nothing of the obligations of Allah! Abstain and stay far from what He has forbidden and place a barrier between yourselves and them. Then, look at how Allah will protect your faith for you, and preserve your Aqidah from any deviation. He will protect you from misguidance in any way; and protect you from the lower incitements of your own self and the impurities of going astray. He will protect you from the most evil of creation, and from the devils of Jinn and man. He will drive away from you all harm. This is not only for yourself, but also for those who tread on your path of your offspring, family and relatives. Allah SWT says: [For him are angels in front of him and behind that protect him by the leave of Allah.]
When Nabi Musa Alayhis Salaam accompanied Khidr Alayhis Salaam on the quest to acquire knowledge; as we know, they came across a town and requested food from the people. The people of the town refused to accommodate them, but Khidr Alayhis Salaam mended a wall there that was about to collapse. When Nabi Musa Alayhis Salaam enquired from him the reason for this, he replied, as mentioned in the Holy Qur'aan: [As for the wall, it belonged to 2 orphan boys in the city, and beneath it was a treasure of theirs and their father was a pious man.] - Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta`ala protected the father's children by protecting their inheritance, because he was a pious man. Therefore, we learn that our good deeds not only benefit us, but those closest to us as well.
- If you protect the rights of Allah in your life of this world, He will protect you in the Hereafter, and emancipate you from the Fire: [And hasten towards forgiveness from your Lord, and a Paradise whose size stretches over the heavens and the earth. It has been prepared for those who are conscious of Allah.] - Surah Ali `Imraan [Oh you who have faith! Save yourselves and your families from the Fire...] - Surah At-Tahreem
On that day, the angels will call you in welcome and honour: [This is what you have been promised for every one who is righteous and protects the rights of Allah. Whosoever fears and submits to The Most Beneficent in the Unseen, and comes with a pure heart. Enter into it with peace; this is the Day of Eternal life.] - Surah Qaaf
- The help of Allah and His assistance and support: Whosoever protects the rights of Allah, he is with Allah. Allah's ma`iyyah; His help, His mercy, His love, His assistance, His support, His protection, are with such a person. He will help him and support him in everything, when he asks of Allah, then Allah will respond, when he makes Istikharah, he will find the answer of Allah. He will find Allah with him in everything he does, and His guidance will be in everything: in his thoughts, in his intentions, in his resolutions, in his actions, in his speech, and in his inner most being. Allah will protect him and strengthen him, Allah will grant him the best of good fortune and make him firm. Every time the darkness covers him or he finds hardship, "Protect the rights of Allah and you will find Him with you." [ Indeed, Allah is with those who are conscious of Him and those who are righteous in everything they do." - Surah An-Nahl
- The help of Allah and His support is connected and linked with our obedience towards His commands and abstinence from what He has forbidden: [Oh you who have faith! If you help Allah, Allah will help you and make your feet firm.] - Surah Muhammad Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam
- We have to help the Deen of Allah! Support and protect this Deen of Islam by being righteous firstly as an individual, and then contributing to the community.
- [If Allah helps you, then nothing can overtake you. But if He humiliates you, then who will help you other than Him. And in Allah let the believers put their utmost trust.] - Surah Ali Imraan
- Rasoolullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam has said: "Seek the opportunity from 5 things before 5 things take place: "Your youth before your old age..." The first thing that the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam mentioned is youth. Why did he do this? This is because in our youth, we are most vulnerable to Iblees, it is then that we have all the strength, we want to enjoy life. However, we must enjoy life within the limits that Allah has set. Whosoever protects the rights of Allah in his youth and when he has strength, ALlah will protect him when he is old and weak. Such a person will enjoy the power of Allah manifested in his hearing, his seeing and his intellect; and Allah will honour his position on the Day of Qiyaamah: "Seven categories of people to whom Allah will grant His Divine Shade on the day when there is no other shade: A leader that is just, and a young person that grows up serving Allah..." - If we given a position of authority and leadership amongst the community, if we are an Imam, then we should be just in everything. Do not do so for the leadership and authority, but do so only for the pleasure of Allah. The Sahaabah were always in the forefront, even the youth amongst them; not for any worldy or material gain, but they did everything solely for the love of Allah and His Beloved Messenger Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam. Seek hold of the opportunity to the best of your ability, especially because the youth are the hope of this Ummah, and on their supports the da`wah of truth and justice stands. For this reason the forces of falsehood and injustice want the youth to go astray.